I love writing; in fact it is one of my favourite pastimes. One of the few things that I enjoy more than writing is procrastination which is why I’m writing about writing when I had set some time aside for planning my novel but that is another story (for the next time I sit down to plan my novel, perhaps)? If you are a perceptive person or more likely because I have told you, you will have guessed that I am about to embark on my first NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month.
The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. I may be crazy for doing this when I have a full time job and a Netflix subscription but I managed to write my 20,000 word MA thesis in 5 days at university so this will be easy right? My novel is going to be historical fiction; set in the chaos surrounding the ending of Roman Britain and the provisional title is The Lost Lands. There are two reasons for choosing this period of history; 1) Very little is known about the period so if anyone ever does read it they will have a hard time criticising the historical accuracy and 2) I can stick King Arthur in somewhere.
Reasons for doing my first NaNoWriMo
• To write on the train to work instead of reading 500 pointless Buzzfeed ‘articles’ for a legitimate reason to avoid eye contact with my fellow commuters.
• To be allowed in the library after opening hours (I’ve always been one of the cool kids huh)?
• I’ve always wanted to do it.
• I have some awesome coworkers who have inspired me.
• Since I moved to the US my social life has been more limited and I have a lot more spare time than I had in the UK (sad but true).
I hope that doing NaNoWriMo is as much fun as writing this blog and getting to meet so many awesome and supportive fellow bloggers. I promise I will keep posting on this blog as it will be a great distraction when I get stuck or need to procrastinate. After all, while I may be a mediocre writer at best I am a grade A procrastinator!
Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?