It’s nearly that time of year again, National Novel Writing Month! For those who don’t know it the aim of NaNo is to write 50,000 words of a novel in a month (in other words give up every minute of your spare time for a month). Last year I wrote historical fiction and ‘won’, hitting 50,000 with 5 days to spare but this year I think it will be more of a challenge because I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone. I’m thinking that this year I will try and write something contemporary and funny. These are two things that I am not so it will present a considerable challenge to get right!
Reasons for doing NaNoWriMo this year:
• To write on the train to work instead of browsing the entire content of the internet in a vain attempt to avoid eye contact with my fellow commuters
• To be allowed in the library after opening hours (I’ve always been one of the cool kids huh)?
• It will be useful escapism in the event that Donald Trump wins the election
• I want to beat my work nemesis, Jen, who is also doing NaNo
• Since moving from the UK I have still made very few friends here so it will detract from the fact that even my cat has a better social life than me and make me feel busy
I may joke about it being a challenge and a little stressful but in all honesty it is a lot of fun and immensely satisfying. There are thousands of other people doing the same challenge and a lot of mutual support and cheerleading which makes a very solo activity feel like a team sport. I will be posting about my progress throughout the month and if you guys are curious I might even share some excerpts from my soon to be terrible novel!
Are you doing NaNo this November? I’d love to hear about your plans!